Thursday, September 29, 2022

Gangsters

 This movie reminds me of my seventh graders in a small town, mostly raised by hardworking single moms. One was acting like a gangster and wasn't listening in class, so one Friday I finally told them that I would do home visits over the weekend and would love to meet their moms. This particular boy was out when I came to their cozy cabin-like home by the lake, but I had a good chat with his young mother, a caregiver. The following Monday, this boy came to me with an apology for his behaviour or he'd "get beaten up" by his mother if she ever heard from me again. He was an angel thereafter to everyone's surprise. "If she says she's gonna meet your mom, she's gonna do it guys," he told everyone in class. "I'd have my pit bulls waiting for you at the gate, Miss J.," said another boy. "Then I'd gladly chat with your pit bulls, too," was my response. They were speechless. Never in their wildest dream would a petite, old woman like me would act so fearless. These tough boys straightened up from that day forward... I've been so blessed to have supportive parents most of the time. - MLJ/2005/06 - 


No comments:

Post a Comment