Sunday, June 19, 2022

It Pains Me So

It pains me so to see fellows walking up and down the aisle. Up and down. Stopping to look up and down the shelves. Top to bottom. Bottom to top. Picking an item and looking at it, then returning it to the shelf as if it had harmful ingredients. Or putting it in their cart and switching with another once they get to the next aisle, feeling like winners. In the shoe section came a tiny voice, “I want another pair!” then the mother’s response, “No!” “Why not?” “Because I said so!” Then we all line up at the till. Not a lot of us this time for many families are lining up at food banks. Our carts less full than usual, foregoing as much as we can: meats, fish, drinks, snacks… unless they’re on sale. As one friend said, “I don’t get anything unless it’s on sale.” In front of me were an irate mother and two kids, a baby and a toddler. “Every time we come here, you’re asking for something!” I thought me as well. I want something more than what’s on my list. Maybe she should castigate me, too… Seeing my almost empty cart, it’s no surprise if my fellows feel my pain, too. MLJ/28/05/2022WhenNothingIsAffordable

No comments:

Post a Comment