Sunday, November 29, 2009

On Letting Go


My painting instructor had to gently snatch my fine point brush from my hand on our last day. She let it rest in my mug of water and nicely told me not to touch it. It was her last chance to push me anyway. She encouraged me with the words "I trust you" and reminded me (and everyone) of inexactitude in painting. Instead of replicating reality in minute detail and denying myself the opportunity to interpret it or to provide viewers with my own impression of things, I could let go of my brush. (I couldn't blame myself though, after acquiring some techniques in photography and portraiture.) Hence, tonight I thought of letting go and got my persevering ladybug to the tip of the first leaves of spring. It was liberating. 11/27/2009

No comments:

Post a Comment