Tuesday, September 16, 2008

2008 Calgary Stampede

"The Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth," they say
--with festival, exhibition and rodeo--
where it's not unusual to witness death
among riders and horses...
where it's not unusual to witness binge drinking
and perhaps sex in public toilets...
where it's not unusual to witness a free feast
of pancakes, corn dogs, beef and beans...

Above all, it's not unusual to witness families
in cowboy hats, leather boots and blue jeans,
strengthening family ties for ten days,
beginning with an early morning ride downtown
to get a spot and watch the parade of bands,
floats and horses that leave their sh... behind
as spectators shout "Yee-haw!"

But none of this I could enjoy this summer
when I'm running late for an interview today
before rushing to one of my several jobs
that'll help me out of my very own...
stampede! "Yee-haw!"
Jamison/07/04/08

No comments:

Post a Comment