Friday, June 13, 2008

My Elizabethtown

Three years is such a short time
to love you so, my kind of town.

Who would forget your Broad Street,
from the Corner Cafe to all your churches
and your people in their Sunday's best?
Who would forget your Poplar Street
with its Bradford pear tree blooms
and azaleas in different colors?
Who would forget your woods
interspersed with white dogwoods,
a shelter to deer, unaware of their season?


Three years is such a short time,
but who would forget the lines:
"How ya doin'?"
"Y'all ain't gonna believe this..."
"Well, bless your heart!"
"Have a good one!"?
The laughter of your children,
and how they jump on the trampoline?
(And though with toothless smiles,
they pitch and bat with all their might!)

Three years is such a short time,
but who would forget faces that are lined
with kind, genuine smiles?
Voices that come from the heart
like mothers' soothing lullabies?
And a warm, soft hug when you need one?

Three years is such a short time
to love you so, my kind of town.
But I'll love you nevertheless til my day is done...
And I'd say anyway, "Y'all have a good one!"
jamison/05/03/08

No comments:

Post a Comment