Monday, August 22, 2022

My New Title in 2022

“Senior discount, po?” said the courteous fast food cashier behind the till. I shook my head but thought that it would be nice indeed to have a discount when I retire. Then I could treat myself to my favourite palabok in Jollibee or to bacon ‘n egg McMuffin in McDonald’s once a week even though I’ve promised myself not to hang out at fast food restaurants when I’m finally done teaching.  

“Customer service,” I told the bank security guard who was handing out counter numbers, and he gave me a number for the Senior/Express counter. Hmm… I thought it was nice to be considered a senior by how I look and get faster service wherever I go. How convenient!

These people got me thinking how I suddenly looked like a retiree after three years of absence in the country. Did the three COVID years increase or deepen my wrinkles? Of course they did! COVID or no COVID, right? However, how did they imagine my deep nasolabial folds (smile lines or laugh lines) when I was wearing a mask? How did they imagine my thinning hair when I had my wide-brimmed hat on? Maybe only senior ladies have the guts to wear hats? Maybe my eyes said it all: sunken and decorated with crow’s feet and aided with prescription lenses! Hmm…  

The next time I went out, I didn’t wear my hat but since there was no change in the treatment that I got everywhere I went, I simply resigned to the idea that I should be ready for my senior’s ID in a few years. And I’m going to have lots of fun as a “Senior Citizen”! MLJ/03/07/2022SummerInThePhilippines

No comments:

Post a Comment