Sunday, August 28, 2022

BOOK of the day: The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett

It’s not easy looking back at the America of 1950’s, but one scene here reminds me of colourism in my schools as a student and how some children used the local N word to refer to those with the darkest skin. This was before most of us learned the word "bullying," and I'm glad that as a child I didn't care much about my dark complexion as I was always surrounded by good friends, no matter what shade of brown they were: light or dark. Sometimes I would also be one of the tallest in class or one of the officers, and the bullies would cower and walk away when I looked at them. Just a look. With a poker face. Just to check if they weren’t teasing the littlest ones who were trying to keep up with my pace as I walked home. And that was in grade 1. I thought then that I could perhaps be a police officer or a soldier when I grew up…        

Now that kids are (or will soon be) back in school, I hope that parents, teachers, and caregivers remind children to look beyond skin colour and be compassionate always, and to stand up to bullying. Here’s to a fun and safe school year! MLJ/27/08/2022  



No comments:

Post a Comment