Saturday, April 16, 2022

On Ice Scrapers

We, newly-arrived Pinoy teachers, were off to remote towns in North Carolina in our leased cars. Every car had a stick with a brush on one end and what looked like a wall scraper or stripper, albeit thicker and made of plastic instead of metal, on the other end. We didn’t know what it was for until the first frost of fall. That morning I saw ice stuck on my windshield, I didn’t know what to do except to run the wiper which didn’t do the trick. Then I saw the garden hose and thought of melting ice with water, which I eventually got the habit of doing for several days until our friendly White Lake Condo neighbour, Woody, caught me after work and told me, “Lina, you don’t use water on your frozen windshield or it would crack. Don’t you have a scraper?” “What scraper?” “Well, your leased car should have one. Let me take a look.” Voila! That stick with a brush on one end and a scraper on the other was what I needed after all! Thanks to Woody for educating ignorant me! MLJ/03042022      

No comments:

Post a Comment