Friday, September 16, 2011

Just kiddin' kindergartners

Jay wasn’t eating his lunch. I asked, “Are you all right, Jay? Why aren’t you eating?” “I’m hurting,” Jay replied. “Your tummy is hurting? What’s hurting?” “My feelings.” “Did someone hurt your feelings?” “No, it just hurted.” Hmmm…

Al wasn't sitting properly, so he was the last to be called to wash his hands to prepare for lunch. I said, "I'll cover my eyes, and you can count to ten. When I open my eyes, you're seated properly." Al started counting: "one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen…" He stopped. I suppressed my laughter while imagining his sweet smile. "Oh!" he exclaimed, realizing he got carried away. I opened my eyes and saw his usual sheepish smile. "Go wash your hands, Al. Good counting." (During free time, Al’s favourite act is to turn around and around while counting to a hundred.)

Lester was caught pulling the hair of Al who was busy coloring. Al had never been into any fight before, unlike Lester. Lester was asked to sit in a chair away from Al. Al was comforted and asked, "Why was Lester pulling your hair?" "I don't know." "Did you do anything to him? Why did he get mad?" "He got mad at me because I didn't do anything." Hmmm…

No comments:

Post a Comment