Saturday, November 13, 2010

Three wonderful women

Nancy, Donna, Ophelia. What do they have in common? Nancy was resilient. Walking in the halls of the care center kept her going. Even when she finally had to use a wheelchair, she simply kept going, enjoying the limited freedom she was well aware of. Donna was a woman of simple elegance, of immense beauty and strength. She smiled at everyone in church, held her husband's hand, and spoke only when she must. Ophelia was a wife, mother, poet, and my mentor in college. I admired and adored her for her intelligence and the burning passion in her poems. What do they have in common aside from being the women I wanted to be? They all left me this fall, in such quiet dignity and grace -- enough to make me love them more.
Jamison/11/13/2010

No comments:

Post a Comment