Thursday, September 14, 2006

It rained in July

and Donna said goodbye

NAIA; July 24, 2006; 11:30 pm
typhoon Glenda welcomed me
with dark and flooded streets
an ominous sight...

I rose in the morning feeling cheated
about losing a day in the Pacific
so on I went with my errands
and thought about surprising Donna
with a call on Saturday, the 29th.
but there was rain and flood
and on I went with my errands
that were never done until Monday, the 31st
when Donna had been laid to rest.

I thought about surprising Donna
with a call on Saturday, the 29th
but there was rain and flood
and on I went with my errands until I chanced upon
the R.I.P. messages in our AHS website
must be a joke, I thought…
some kind of nasty joke
for the best class leader, daughter, sister, wife, mother
for everyone’s best friend...

it said Donna said goodbye on Thursday, the 27th
(I was on an errand, but there was rain and flood…)
so I called on her grieving mother
and learned about brave Donna’s surprise
how she gave in that day to complications
(when I was on an errand, and there was rain and flood…)
so I called on Donna in her grave
where the selfish ground was soaked in the rain
and the anthuriums still crispy red, loving the rain.

I thought I was only dreaming
maybe I was still on the NY subway, watching people’s faces
maybe I was still on I-95, racing with restless travelers
maybe I was still crying in an NC Inn, thinking about tomorrow
maybe I was still on flight NW-72, nursing a headache and a stiff neck
watching Queen Latifah on the screen, listening to Julie Andrews.

I thought I was only dreaming
it could have been you, it could have been me
maybe now or later…
but then I remember…
Donna was always the best since our high school days
no one could beat her in anything
not even now in terms of surprises
not even now in terms of going to Heaven
no, no one could beat Donna
for saying goodbye…
this rainy July.

Jamison080406

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ms. Jamison, I was just wondering if you happen to taught for a semester or so in De La Salle Univesity Dasmarinas (Cavite)? Cos I have been looking for my former professor in our Essay Writing class... if so i hope we could get back in touch, many thanks! -- Jacelyn (nee Veluz) Pangco (veluzjacelyn@yahoo.com).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. 1999-2000. Your last name does sound familiar. I hope the course has been useful. I did have a lot of fun teaching there.

    Miss J :)

    ReplyDelete