Friday, July 07, 2006

my dear old ford focus stands still under a tree

my dear old ford focus stands still under a tree
like a scarred dog adorned with bird droppings
and sprinkles of dried petals, leaves and twigs.
i watch her from my bedroom window
before i go to bed each night
i pray that she'd still be in sight
and greet me good morning when i awake
and ask me when we shall be elsewhere again.

i know she's been feeling unwanted and useless
since our grueling run from NC to NY
i know her tires are still aching
for they sped tirelessly for 13 hours on I-95
and didn't go unpunished on the roads of Manhattan.

her trunk's still heavy with my life
my life's possessions, that is
but it shan't be long i tell her today
for she'll soon need a drink of NY fuel
she'll need some oil change and emission testing
and she'll feel fresh and renewed again.

it shan't be long i tell her today
for it'll be the fourth of July soon
and i shall take her to Macy’s fireworks display.

it shan't be long i tell her today
for thereafter we shall be away
from the cold concrete of Queens
we shall step onto the warm fields of nowhere
and we shall be cozy together again.

jamison070106

No comments:

Post a Comment