Sunday, August 11, 2024

The Marriage Portrait by Maggie O'Farrell

 The Marriage Portrait

My Last Duchess by Robert Browning

For all young girls around the world who are forced into marriage, a prayer of hope and strength. 

Our beloved HS Literature teacher (God bless her soul.) gave us poems to memorize and deliver, and mine was My Last Duchess by Robert Browning, which I could hardly comprehend at that time. I practiced every day but was still trembling during my delivery in front of the class, feeling like all my blood vessels would burst and I’d turn into a red glob on the floor. Now that this inspired Maggie O’Farrell to write about the young Duchess Lucrezia de’ Medici, it’s time to revisit the poem… O’Farrell even visited the Duchess’ grave in Italy for this historical fiction. MLJ/11082024/SummerReads 


No comments:

Post a Comment